Thursday, September 8, 2011

Danielle, this first one's for you

I have papers to grade and poor work notices to finish, so what better time to finally start my food blog?  However, being in the mood to actually write about food is different from being in the mood to create a blog, so I figured I'd get this part of it accomplished when in the blog-creating mood, and then start posting when the other mood hit.  Or what I might do is grab some of my posts from facebook (the ones that people read and say "when are you going to just start a food blog??") and put them here just to seed the garden.  Think that sounds lazy?  Yeah, well, it's 95 degrees outside, and I'm sprawled on the sofa watching US Open tennis and eating kashi for supper.  Now, the kashi IS sporting fresh organic blueberries that were washed in my baby orange flower colander from Sur la Table.  It's my favorite kitchen furnishing; anything tastes better if rinsed in its bright happy orange petals.  But I haven't cooked a thing since friends came last Saturday, and even then I switched from a more ambitious Persian menu (I just got another Claudia Roden cookbook) to some basic gyro-ish Greek tacos that I saw the Sandwich King make on FoodTV.  Those (sort of) gyros were pretty damn good, though.  And it was fun to eat them and discuss with everyone else at the table what worked, what could be refined for next time, etc.  I made both lamb and beef, even though those are two meats with ginormous carbon footprints.  However, when the meat is as savory as this recipe, you don't need to eat as much to feel wonderfully satisfied, so I'm not going to feel too bad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment