Thursday, June 15, 2017

Fusion Fiesta!



It started with shakshuka, which I made for a friend who came to lunch yesterday. Depending on whom you ask, that dish is Lebanese, Israeli, or North African--which as far as I understand it, is the dish's actual origin, though it's apparently all the rage throughout the Middle East and certainly here in the American West. Coming home from the gym today, I was hungry and in a hurry, and knowing I'd be out of town for a few days, I also needed to use up whatever fresh was in the fridge. Out came all the leftover bits of shakshuka veggies--eggplant, onion, red pepper, yellow zucchini, rainbow chard and parsley. Some uncooked roti (which is kind of like a whole wheat tortilla, but much better texture than even a regular tortilla) from the local Indian market.




I sliced and sauteed all the veggies fajita-style with a little cumin and herbes de provence (Mediterranean/North African/Indian? Whatever, the two go together wonderfully).



Cooked a fresh roti on my comal (Mexican/Central American griddle) and wrapped it up like a nice big taco with some goat cheese.




It came together so quickly and made the perfect light yet fulfilling lunch. Whole food, whole grain, fresh, and delicious! Oh, and whole-world, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment