Thursday, October 6, 2011

Madame Mix-a-Lot

From previous posts you know of my appreciation for a good baking mix. Why reinvent the wheel?

Yesterday's rain put my friend Dita in an autumn mood--she said it was time for my special ginger snaps. The person with us said, "Oh, you make ginger snaps? from scratch?" and I was about to admit the truth when Dita assured her that I have a secret recipe. Now, I know I admitted to Dita sometime in the past that those ginger snaps come from a Trader Joe's mix. But I honestly think she doesn't remember--because she doesn't want to. There's something about the idea of your friend pulling all the ingredients out of the pantry and measuring and mixing them together before rolling out the dough and cutting out the holiday shapes that makes you feel special and nurtured.

Yes, I do form my ginger snaps into beautiful leaves with my treasured collection of copper cookie cutters--oak, maple, aspen, birch. But Dita wants the whole experience--"special recipe" means "specially made for me."

Well, I'm too lazy to test a bunch of recipes just to find something anywhere near as good as Trader Joe's Ginger Bread Mix (with ginger snap directions printed on side of box). Because Dita needs to know her friend cares enough to spend hours testing, mixing, and refining, these cookies are my "secret special recipe." So don't tell her my secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment